It’s all happening today for Nine, the the Rob Marshall-directed film adaptation of the hit theatrical production: the soundtrack is out at digital services (and in old-fashioned record stores Dec. 22), and “Cinema Italiano,” performed by Kate Hudson in the film, scored a Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Song. But we have a quibble: while we rarely object when stage musicals are turned into big star-packed Hollywood productions, it is a bit of a drag that the one original tune in the film went to A-Rod’s ex-groupie instead of her co-star, actual professional singer Fergie.
Say what you will about her acting talents, but she’s really the one true pop phenom in the whole femme-focused film, and her Axl-approved power vocals don’t disappoint while doing musical theatre. Fergie belts it out in “Be Italian” (which you may recognize from the movie’s cerebellum-pounding trailer), and it appears she somehow convinced the film’s producers to let Black Eyed Peas mastermind will.i.am tag along on a cover of iconic 60s Italian pop song “Quando, Quando, Quando.” Check out both tracks dopo il salto (that’s Italian for “after the jump,” at least according to Babel Fish):
Preview of “Be Italian”
“Quando, Quando, Quando” feat. will.i.am
Michael Buble had previously covered the song (hear it here), but we’re digging Fergie’s low-energy take on its retro, poolside-ready groove. Well, up until will.i.am interrupts with—surprise!—an unnecessary would-be falsetto and tossed-off rap verses. Doesn’t he have better things to do while Fergie’s off burnishing her solo credentials? Like making sure the Peas’ manager finally pays their taxes?
Here’s the Nine soundtrack listing:
1. Overture Delle Donne (Female Ensemble)
2. Guido’s Song (Daniel Day-Lewis/Guido Contini)
3. A Call From The Vatican (Penelope Cruz/Carla)
4. Folies Bergere (Judi Dench/Lillie)
5. Be Italian (Fergie/Saraghina)
6. My Husband Makes Movies (Marion Cotillard/Luisa Contini)
7. Cinema Italiano (Kate Hudson/Stephanie)
8. Guarda La Luna (Sophia Loren/Mamma)
9. Unusual Way (Nicole Kidman/Claudia)
10. Take It All (Marion Cotillard/Luisa Contini)
11. I Can’t Make This Movie (Daniel Day Lewis/Guido Contini)
13. Quando Quando Quando (performed by Fergie)
14. Io Baci, Tu Baci (performed by The Noisettes)
15. Cinema Italiano (the Ron Fair Remix performed by Kate Hudson)
16. Unusual Way (performed by Griffith Frank)
The film opens in NY and LA on December 18, and nationwide Christmas Day.
You might also like