Troye Sivan is the latest teenager to make the leap from social media celebrity to pop star. The Australian, who built a massive YouTube following with personal vlogs, landed in the iTunes top 10 over the weekend with major label debut single “Happy Little Pill”. He made an even bigger impact with its parent EP TRXYE, which momentarily topped the album chart.
The 19-year-old’s success comes hot on the heels of Vine star Shawn Mendes, who recently debuted at number 24 on the Billboard Hot 100 with “Life Of The Party”. While the ability to leverage his huge social following certainly played a role in his success, “Happy Little Pill” is a surprisingly mature (and dark) pop anthem. If you’re not familiar with the new kid on the block, find 10 facts about Troye after the jump.
1. Troye hails from Perth, Western Australia but was born in South Africa.
2. He’s a budding movie star. The teenager played a young Wolverine in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
3. A simple selfie can induce this kind of reaction from fans:
@troyesivan i have concluded that you are in fact far too perfect to be a human being and you are an angel sent from some type of heaven
— nikki (@troyeuphoria) July 22, 2014
6. The multi-talented teen stars a South Africa movie franchise in called Spud.
7. He recently hit the studio with Australian dance music producer Paul Mac:
— paul mac (@thepaulmac) January 15, 2014
8. Your new favorite pop star has herpes. But not the bad kind!
9. Troye signed to EMI Australia in 2013 but kept it secret for a year.
10. “Happy Little Pills” has a serious subject matter, detailing a friend’s battle with depression. Listen to it below
Is Troye the real deal? Have your say in the comments below.
Get an eyeful of even more pop music coverage, from artist interviews to exclusive performances, on Idolator’s YouTube channel.
You might also like