Former angry Twitterer Chris Brown takes a cue from his latest single and “crawls” into the lower reaches of the Top 10 of Billboard’s Top 200 Albums chart this week with Graffiti. The warning signs have all been there that the troubled pop singer was set to have a less than stellar debut with his third LP. But rather than the #6 position Hits Daily Double had him coming in at, Billboard now reports that he’s officially charted at #7.
Brown got beaten to a pulp by last week’s other big release, the second soundtrack to Golden Globe-nominated series Glee, which debuts at #3. And then of course there’s Susan Boyle, who for a third week chirps away like a Scottish siren at #1, leading the world to crash straight into her bank account.
Hop below to see how well Boyle and Glee sold, and how Chris Brown’s Graffiti wound up more or less like chicken scratch.
* With 582,000 more copies of Susan Boyle’s I Dreamed A Dream sold last week, Billboard notes that it’s now only the third time since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking sales data in 1991 that an album has sold more than 500,000 in its first three weeks. It’s also the only album by a woman to do so.
* Glee: The Music, Volume 2 sold 173,000 copies its first week out of the gate. Yesterday the Fox series was nominated for four Golden Globes, more than any other television show this year. The first Glee soundtrack also rebounds, moving up from #20 to #11.
* Chris Brown’s Graffiti wound up with sales of 102,000, far less than half the amount his last album, Exclusive, opened with (294,000) two years ago. This news comes days after the singer deleted his Twitter account, and likely won’t do much to cheer up Brown fan Kendra Payne, who tells MTV News, “The only reason why I made a Twitter was because Chris Brown made a Twitter. He was the first person I followed, and then when he deleted his Twitter, I was going crazy.”
We suggest that Kendra not replace reading Chris’ tweets with reading Billboard, then.
The Top 10 of Billboard’s Top 200 Albums:
1. Susan Boyle, I Dreamed A Dream
2. Andrea Bocelli, My Christmas
3. Various, Glee: The Music, Volume 2 *new*
4. Taylor Swift, Fearless
5. Carrie Underwood, Play On
6. Lady Gaga, The Fame
7. Chris Brown, Graffiti *new*
8. Justin Bieber, My World
9. Michael Buble, Crazy Love
10. Gucci Mane, The State Vs. Radric Davis *new*
You might also like