And so today brings the final nominees list for the People’s Choice Awards, a roundup of the some of the less-challenging artists and material from the past year or so. And—yippee!—this was the first year that “we, the people” were allowed to have somewhat of a say in the nominees. But despite this privilege, snubs still abound in the music categories.
1. Favorite Male Artist: Eminem, Jason Mraz, John Mayer, Keith Urban, Tim McGraw
To be fair, the choices for the “male artist” category always seem less dynamic than some of the others. Still, why not throw America for a loop by adding someone over the top into the mix. Someone crazy. Like Crazy Loop!
2. Favorite Female Artist: Britney Spears, Beyoncé, Carrie Underwood, Pink, Taylor Swift
Sure, Lily Allen is a polarizing figure in pop. All the more reason to include her! Geez, at least Shakira stripped down and contorted herself all over the place in her recent videos. Doesn’t that get her at least one nod from the people?
3. Favorite Breakout Artist: Adam Lambert, Demi Lovato, Kris Allen, Lady GaGa, Susan Boyle
You gotta hand it to the PCAs—Susan Boyle is pretty edgy. But couldn’t the producers have gone a step further and pushed La Roux or Owl City onto the masses as an option? Granted, La Roux is technically a duo. Maybe that doesn’t count.
4. Favorite Rock Band: Daughtry, Green Day, Kings of Leon, Muse, Paramore
Come on, America—Yeah Yeah Yeahs could be your favorite rock band of the year if only you were properly force-fed them!
5. Favorite Music Collaboration: Cobra Starship and Leighton Meester (”Good Girls Go Bad”), Lonely Island and T-Pain (”I’m on a Boat”); T.I. and Rihanna (”Live Your Life”); Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat (”Lucky”); Jay-Z, Rihanna and Kanye West (”Run This Town”)
Leighton Meester, you crafty minx—you planned the recent release of your Robin Thicke duet “Somebody To Love” just so you can be nominated this year and next, didn’t you? Seriously, this show needs some Euro-cheese. Why not include David Guetta and Kelly Rowland’s “When Love Takes Over”?
6. Favorite R&B Artist: Alicia Keys, Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, Mariah Carey, Usher
7. Favorite Pop Artist: Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Lady GaGa, Taylor Swift
Kelly Clarkson was clearly way too controversial for this one.
You might also like