Anna Nicole Smith was reportedly too weak to walk, sit up, and had to drink from a baby bottle in her final days. Read the tragic details of Anna’s life that were revealed in court below.
Anna Nicole Smith’s death is blamed on 44 different medications she had been given.
In court new tragic details of Smith’s final days are being revealed. The court will determine if Howard K. Stern, 40, Khristine Eroshevich, 61, and Sandeep Kapoor, 41, should stand trial on felony charges of conspiring to give dangerous drugs to an addict through fraudulent means, such as by using fake names.
Maurice Brighthaupt, Smith’s security guard, told how he would watch Anna Nicole Smith drink from a baby bottle containing the sedative chloral hydrate. This is one medication the coroner said caused her fatal overdose.
“I saw her use a spoon maybe twice and after that it was bottle to mouth. Gulp,” Brighthaupt, also a Miami firefighter, testified, adding that he had several conversations with Eroshevich in which the psychiatrist expressed concern about Smith overdosing.
“I don’t think anyone can say that Howard K. Stern didn’t love Anna and didn’t attempt, in his way, to do the best thing for her,” Stern’s attorney, Steven Sadow of Atlanta stated.
Howard K. Stern has pleaded not guilty to 11 felony counts, including prescribing, administering or dispensing a controlled substance to an addict, obtaining a prescription for opiates by fraud, deceit or misrepresentation, and conspiracy to commit a crime.
Eroshevich and Kapoor are each charged with six felony counts, including unlawfully prescribing a controlled substance, prescribing, administering or dispensing a controlled substance to an addict and conspiracy to commit a crime.
Deputy District Attorney Renee Rose replied that the defendants were “fully aware” that Smith was an addict who could not control herself around drugs.
“It’s like putting a gun in the hand of someone who is suicidal and saying don’t pull the trigger,” Rose said.
Special Agent Danny Santiago of California’s Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement said that Smith was clearly ill when she checked into the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida, on February 5, 2007. Santiago testified a hotel clerk told him that Smith, a repeat customer, leaned on Stern to walk and seemed “out of it.”
Another hotel employee assigned to act as Smith’s personal assistant recalled Eroshevich telling her that Smith had the flu. The psychiatrist said she wasn’t licensed in Florida and needed help in getting a prescription for the model, Santiago said.
The hotel sent a local doctor to go to the room and treat Smith, but then Stern insisted the doctor stay away, citing concerns about negative press coverage.
“They didn’t want any leaks about Anna’s physical condition,” Santiago said.
Police asked Stern where Smith’s baby was, he told them Dannielynn had stayed behind in the Bahamas. When asked about a baby bottle at Smith’s bedside, Stern replied that “she was so weak that that was the only way she could drink the Pedialyte”.
Stern, a lawyer who became Smith’s fiancé, knew about her use of chloral hydrate and would pass her the bottle when she asked for it, Brighthaupt testified.
Brighthaupt said he also saw Stern inject Smith with other medication “more than seven times” and recounted seeing Stern in a bathroom using a cigarette lighter and a spoon to melt Valium into an injectable form.
“They felt it would get in her system faster,” he said.
Smith’s autopsy blamed her death on an acute combination of toxic drugs, especially chloral hydrate, Benadryl, clonazepam, diazepam and lorazepam.
Click Thumbnails for Larger Pictures
You might also like